Friday, March 25, 2011
Sunday, March 20, 2011
Tompkins Square Park
Dogs are the best people.
I know that living in New York my focus should really be drinking bellinis into the wee small hours and noshing brunch into the late afternoon, but I have to say this park is my favourite thing right now. It’s two blocks from my apartment and often when I am coming or going I will take a two block detour to get my puppy dog fix for the day.
I don’t know how the owners feel about interlopers standing around gawking at their beloved little canines. After my third visit I did start to feel a bit like a pervert loitering at a schoolyard. Generally, I subscribe to the Groucho Marx school of though regarding clubs: I wouldn’t want to belong to any one that would have me as a member. But I'd make an exception for the NY Dog-Owners Association... and the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences - Oscar Nominee Division.
There are two dog enclosures side by side: one for little dogs; and one for big dogs (and little dogs who think they are big dogs). I am sure it would be much nicer for these guys to run around on actual grass rather than gravel but there is a shortage of that in Manhattan. Besides, they seem pretty content. Joyous, actually. Nothing says happiness like a dog bounding around in total abandon, tongue hanging out and tail wagging like a high-speed windscreen-wiper.
There are, however, quite a lot of puppy politics to be observed. One gorgeous, portly French Bulldog was being so relentlessly terrorised and yapped at by a little white terrier that his owner had to take him out of the park. On the other side, some other kind of bulldog kept baiting and sitting on a smaller black dog.
Never once did the owner of any of the bully dogs step in and intervene. Bodes well for the world when these people decide to have children.
Most of the dogs were playful and lovely but, like people, I guess some dogs are just jerks.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Saturday, March 12, 2011
Friday, March 4, 2011
- I don't own a boombox. So I'd have to go to Cash Converters and buy one. Does that place still exist?
- Does anyone actually manufacture blank cassette tapes anymore??
- How do I get it off my itunes onto a tape? I'll probably have to burn it to CD then play it on a CD player that plugs into the boombox.
- I'm going to need cables for that (minutes of logistical contemplation ensue...)
- Maybe I could just bring my laptop and USB speakers and play it loudly. But how do I hold a laptop and two speakers above my head all at the same time?
- He'll think (read: realise far too soon) that I am a goofball